Dangers of mould
Exposure to mould is more common than you may think. Mould grows best on organic materials in warm, moist temperatures, between 22 to 27 degrees Celsius and can be found inside and outside your home. Because mould spores are tiny, it is easily inhaled into your lungs, and if you have young children with allergies and asthma, high levels of mould can trigger a severe attack.
Telltale signs you might have mould
Your senses are the simplest way to detect mould. If you smell a musty odour, see visible dark rings and spots or notice water damage on your walls and ceiling you might have a problem. If you or anyone in your family start to develop symptoms such as headaches, coughing, sneezing, itchy, watery eyes and skin irritations you need to get it checked and removed quickly.
To limit the development of mould you can use one of the following disinfectants.
Bleach: Wash your walls with bleach and water then open some windows to air out the area.
Hydrogen Peroxide: Spray some on the area and leave for 15 minutes, then rinse.
White Vinegar: Spray undiluted white vinegar directly on the area and let dry.
Six preventative measures
Mould starts to grow within 48 hours, but there are several steps you can take to keep it away or from returning.
- Wet materials, i.e. towel, or clothes left in the laundry, place in your dryer or air them out asap.
- Always clean, disinfect and dry surfaces, i.e. sinks or floors
- The exhaust fan in your bathroom is not just for airing out smells it doubles as an aid in minimising moisture levels in the bathroom which limits the growth of mould.
- Increase airflow into your home by opening up some windows. If you have things in confined spaces, pull them out so that the air from outside can ventilate the area.
- Look out for leaks around your appliances and air ducts as moisture encourages growth.
- Basements are great places for moisture to get and stay trapped run a dehumidifier in it throughout the winter; you can also take it a step further and install thermal pane windows to keep the walls warm and limit condensation.
Please Note: Always use gloves, goggles, a mask and clothes you can get rid of before treating mould yourself. If the mould is beyond cleaning and drying, get rid of the material or call a professional cleaning service. Don’t risk your family’s health this season. This blog claims no credit for any images posted on this site unless otherwise noted. Images on this blog are copyright to its respectful owners.